Thursday 30 December 2010

mock mock mock

"I think what he does is a model for other managers around the world. It's a perfect model for all the kids as well. As for the style of football, even Barcelona are now copying his style" - Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez mocks Sam Allardyce after a 2-1 win over Blackburn (February)

"If before a match I made my team watch Gladiator, they'd start laughing or call the doctor asking if I was ill. Before the Coppa Italia final, I watched six Roma games to find their weak points, spending three hours on each at the computer running programmes that help my work. Of course, it's easier to just pick a movie to project before a match, but Ranieri has forgotten his players are champions and not children" - Inter boss Jose Mourinho mocks Claudio Ranieri's match preparations at Roma (May)

mock
adj. imitation, false, fake
v. jeer; mimic; imitate; scorn; ridicule
n. scorn, ridicule, mockery
mock
mock /m'ɒk/ (mocks mocking mocked)
1 [VERB] V n, V with quote
If someone mocks you, they show or pretend that they think you are foolish or inferior, for example by saying something funny about you, or by imitating your behaviour.
I thought you were mocking me...
`I'm astonished, Benjamin,' she mocked.
2 [ADJ] ADJ n
You use mock to describe something which is not real or genuine, but which is intended to be very similar to the real thing.
`It's tragic!' swoons Jeffrey in mock horror...
3 [N-COUNT] usu pl
Mocks are practice exams that you take as part of your preparation for real exams. (BRIT INFORMAL)
She went from a D in her mocks to a B in the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment